Garlick, Charles Sidney
Son of John George Garlick, hat manufacturer, and Louise Beatrice Garlick, of 10 Tyndall Avenue.
Garlick was born on 30/08/1897, and attended the School from 1908-1911. He served as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Army, with the King's Royal Rifle Corps 20th Bn. Garlick sadly lost his life on 16/07/1916, as a result of the War.
Garlick is buried in Dive Copse British Cemetery, Sailly-le-Sec, France, grave reference II. B. 23.
School prizes were instituted for both Charles (known by his middle name - Sidney) and his brother Philip. The Sidney Garlick Memorial Prize for English verse was founded in 1917. The Philip Garlick Prize was to be given to "that member of the Senior Literary and Debating Society who...is the best debater". It was noted that if the Debating Society folded the prize should be given to the boy who wrote the best essays on English Literature.
Selected for Specially Difficult Work (Newcutting 1916 - Maud Boucher Scrapbooks)
Sec Lieut C S Garlick, of the King’s Royal Rifle Corps, was the second and only surviving son of Mr and Mrs J G Garlick, of 10 Tyndall Avenue, Bristol. He was educated at the Bristol Grammar School, and at Wycliffe College, Stonehouse. In January 1915 he was articled to Major W R Ackland, MRCS, LDS, but postponed his dental studies on joining the University OTC in April of that year. The following October he received his commission in the 8th Wilts Regiment, and proceeded to Oxford for a few weeks at the Military School. From there he was sent to Bovington Camp, in Dorset, and thence to Reading for a Pioneer Course. Early in May he received orders for active service, and on arrival in France was immediately transferred to the King’s Royal Rifle Corps, and was soon after selected for specially difficult work. The deceased officer, who was under 19 years of age, had evinced marked literary ability, and was a young man of much promise in many ways.
Highbury Chapel, Memorial Service to the Fallen (Western Daily Press 7th June 1920)
Yesterday morning an impressive service was conducted by the Rev. Dr. H. Arnold Thomas at Highbury Chapel in memory of the young men connected with that chapel who had been killed in the war. The preacher took for his text, “Zebulon and Naphthali were a people that jeoparded their lives unto the death in the high places of the field” (Judges v., 18). In the course of the sermon he said that building, with which for most of them so many happy and sacred memories were associated was that day-still further enriched by the simple, but not he trusted less significant or beautiful, memorable tablet which they had set up in honour of those members of their families who gave their lives for their country in the late war. They needed no such monument to keep them from forgetting those who made so great a sacrifice on their behalf. Their names were graven on their hearts. They would never cease to think of them with affection and gratitude. In some strange way they seemed to be ever with them still.
“One by one they step into the ancient place, and we that thought ourselves alone meet in the shattered homesteads of the heart, the old familiar touch.”
However near they might think them to be to them sometimes in person, they had none the less felt it to be both a satisfaction and a duty to inscribe their names upon their walls, that they might remain there so long as the walls themselves were left standing. They were not men who had any natural love for war. There was not one of them, so far as he knew, who had had any inclination to choose the Army as a profession, and most of them were already embarked on peaceful careers in which they had good promise of happiness and success. But the summons came, and they arose and left their work and their bright prospects, not without some pain and shrinking, as he knew from what one and another said to him, but without any display as of men who were doing anything difficult or heroic. It was a tremendous ordeal but they faced it with calm courage, and even with a brave show of cheerfulness. And now the record of what they did, stood there confronting that pulpit a sermon in stone. So they, being dead, would yet speak to them. They died in their early prime, but they did not die in vain. Therefore “we greet them again with tender words and grave.” Who, “saving us themselves they could not save; who kept the house unharmed their fathers built so fair, who found the secret of the word that saith Service is sweet, for all true life is death.” The tablet, which is of marble, bears the names of Alexander D. Anderson, Henry Ryan Bennett, Allen E. Bickle, Norman Durant, Bernard Roy Edgar, Charles Sidney Garlick, Wallace L. Hilljer, Frank W. Terrell, Arnold W. Tratman, Francis V. Tratmen and Michael Seacombe Wills. Mr George Oatley is responsible for the design of the memorial.